[Corpora-List] American and British English spelling converter

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 8 01:17:09 UTC 2006

By coincidence regarding this thread, just yesterday I gave an example to my Houstonian university students regarding subject complements [predicative complements] from the textbook I'm using called A Student's Introduction to Grammar by Rodney Huddleston and Geoffrey Pullum.  The example was:

  He seemed a very nice guy.

  As a Yank who got her MSc  and is working on her doctorate in England, I hadn't thought much of it.  However, my students took immediate exception.  "It's wrong. It should be 'He seemed like a very nice guy' ", they said.

  Well, I don't want to belabor/belabour the point. Just thought I'd add my two cents/pence.
  Kindest regards,
  Linda Bawcom

Merle Tenney <merlet at microsoft.com> wrote:
  You're right, Harry, the lexical and idiomatic differences between British and American English variants are better known than the grammatical differences. And the grammatical differences extend far beyond the singular and plural uses of collective nouns (American 'the government is' vs. British 'the government is' and 'the government are', depending). They also include:

- Definiteness of generic references: 'go to hospital' BrE vs. 'go to the hospital' AmE
- Inflected and periphrastic comparatives: 'commoner' BrE vs. 'more common' AmE

And I am sure there are others.

Merle