[Corpora-List] Call for Interest in Participation for SemEval Arabic Semantic Labeling

Mona Diab mdiab at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Nov 29 18:13:10 UTC 2006

[Apologies for duplications]
[Please distribute widely]

If you're interested in participating in the task of Arabic Semantic
Labeling as part of SemEval-2007, please fill in the following for before
December 1, 2006.

http://nlp.cs.swarthmore.edu/semeval/interest.shtml

The task description can be found on

http://nlp.cs.swarthmore.edu/semeval/tasks/task18/description.shtml

Attached below for your convenience

Task #18: Arabic Semantic Labeling

Organizers

Mona Diab (Columbia University)
Christiane Fellbaum (Princeton University)
Mohamed Maamouri (LDC, University of Pennsylvania)
Martha Palmer (University of Colorado, Boulder)

Tasks

We propose several tasks for Arabic Semantic Labeling. The tasks will span
both the WSD and Semantic Role labeling processes for this evaluation. Both
sets of tasks will be evaluated on data derived from the same data set, the
test set.

*Word Sense Disambiguation

We propose 3 subtasks for WSD all of which will only have test data for
evaluation and trial data for formatting purposes:

1. The first task is to discover different senses in the data for nouns and
verbs without associating labels with those senses. Therefore it is a sense
discrimination task.

In this task the participants will be required to identify that the
different senses for nouns and verbs without associating labels with those
identified senses. These senses will be derived from the Arabic WordNet.
There will be two levels of granularity, coarse and fine grain. The coarse
grained senses will be numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. while the fine grained senses
will be numbered 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. 2.1, 2.2, etc. The results will be evaluated
on both granularities.

2. The second task is to annotate all nouns and verbs in the data with
Arabic WordNet senses (tentative)

All verbs and nouns in the data will need to be annotated with their labels
from Arabic WordNet

3. The third task is to annotate all nouns and verbs in the data with
English wordnet senses.

a. In this task, the participants will be required to link the Arabic nouns
and verbs with their corresponding sense(s) in the English WordNet

b. An English translation corpus will be provided along with the trial/test
data

c. A bilingual word list will also be provided

*Semantic Role Labeling

We propose 3 subtasks for Semantic Role Labeling (SRL). These subtasks will
have trial, training and test data available for it:

4. Identifying Arguments in a sentence.

In this task, the participants are required to identify all the constituents
in a constituency tree that should be annotated with argument roles related
to some predetermined verbs

5. Automatic annotations for numbered argument

In this task, the participants are required to identify and label the
constituents in a constituency tree that should be annotated with numbered
argument roles related to some predetermined verbs

6. Automatic annotations for all arguments.

In this task, the participants are required to identify and label all the
constituents in a constituency tree that should be annotated with both
numbered argument roles and ARGM roles related to some predetermined verbs

Combination Tasks

7. Finally, we will propose some subtasks to combine any of the WSD tasks
with any of the SRL tasks. (more to come on this)

Data
he data will be Arabic Treebank 3 v.2 data which is newswire in Modern
Standard Arabic. We will only opt for 100 most frequent verbs in this set to
draw training, trial (for the semantic role labeling tasks) and test data
for the semantic role labeling and WSD tasks) The data is syntactically and
morphologically manually annotated. The syntactic trees are constituency
trees. A preliminary version of the Arabic WordNet will be available

Evaluation metric

SRL: Conlleval metrics of precision recall and f measure
WSD: Scorer metrics of precision, recall and f-measure on both coarse and
fine grained sense distinctions.

Dates

Jan 1st     Delivering trial data
March 1st     Delivering the training and test data
Mona T. Diab, PhD
Computational Linguistics Group (CADIM)
Center for Computational Learning Systems
Columbia University

Tel.: +1 212 870 1290
Fax: +1 212 870 1285
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~mdiab