[Corpora-List] Numbers of English vocabulary required for students

Jakub Marecek jakub at marecek.cz
Mon Oct 2 07:07:08 UTC 2006

Hello folks,

see http://www.infogreta.org/magazine/articles-9-1.htm or
one of books by Norbert Schmitt if you don't like the 2000
number. Paul Nation was (supposedly) using corpora of spoken
English to arrive at the artificially low number of 2000
while a decent coverage of real written English would
(again, supposedly) require learning many more words
(word families).

Best
Jakub