[Corpora-List] Numbers of English vocabulary required for students

TadPiotr tadpiotr at plusnet.pl
Mon Oct 2 07:22:23 UTC 2006

I am afraid that in work like that by Nation we can find the common pitfall
of vocabulary-based word lists: common items have "little lexical meaning",
it is infrequent items which really carry the message (that is why we can
find the topic of a text by automatic retrieval procedures). It is
sufficient to have a look at various vocabulary tests applied to American
students to see that the range of the vocabulary they are expected to have
is enormous, though there are obviously some preferred areas, such as
Latinate and classical items, etc. Have a look at
http://www.vocaboly.com/vocabulary-test/, for example. And there are
hundreds of pages like that.
Best wishes
Tadeusz Piotrowski