[Corpora-List] Openings at Tegic Communications on text-input team

Rojas, David David.Rojas at corp.aol.com
Mon Apr 9 16:11:53 UTC 2007

Greetings,

If you or anyone you know is recent graduate (BA/BS,MA/MS) in computer
science, informatics, cognitive science, linguistics, etc., or if you
are a programmer simply eager to apply your knowledge and interest in
language to embedded software -- impacting the lives of over 2 billion
people around the world -- I would encourage you to both continue
reading this message and visit our website (www.tegic.com / www.t9.com).

Tegic Communications currently has several software engineer spots open,
a couple of which are entry-level positions working on our text-entry
line of products including T9, XT9, and other new projects.  We also
have a few internships opening on a revolving basis.  These would be
great for someone with a background in corpus linguistics who is a good
C/C++ programmer.

The activities of this position would initially be to assist in creating
the linguistic databases, including writing and refining tools and
scripts, and using those tools to gather and process language corpora
and compile the databases. T9 currently supports 64 languages across the
globe, with a continuing roadmap to extend our language support
throughout emerging markets such as Africa, India, and the former Soviet
Union.

The open T9 team positions would be ideal for someone who is a recent
(or soon to be recent) BA/BS or MA/MS graduate.  Here is a synopsis of
what we're looking for:
*Required*
- expertise in C, C++, or Java
- some familiarity with the methodologies of corpus linguistics
- proficiency in Perl (other scripting languages possible) and batch
processing
- written fluency, including grammar, in a language other than English
*Desirable*
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computational Linguistics
- 2+ years work experience in the software industry
- familiarity with character encoding schemes, including Unicode and
non-standard encodings
- proficiency with HTML and web content source information
- fluency and/or familiarity with additional languages is an asset,
especially Korean, Japanese, Indic, or agglutinative languages

Tegic is a subsidiary of AOL/TimeWarner, so you can learn about all of
our currently available positions on the Time Warner web site.  Once
you're at the site,
1) Click on "Search Openings"
2) Set the following parameters:
   - TimeWarner Division=AOL
   - Location=United States - Washington - Seattle
   - Area of Interest=All
   - Position Type=All
(Here's the URL:
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/careers/jobtools_us/index.html)

I'd be happy to field some questions if you know anyone who is
interested.

Thank you,
David Rojas
Linguistic Software Engineer
Tegic Communications
www.tegic.com

About Us: AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital  status,
national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation,  veteran
status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.