[Corpora-List] Morpho Challenge submission deadline extended to May 4

Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi
Thu Apr 26 13:55:51 UTC 2007

http://www.cis.hut.fi/morphochallenge2007/

Unsupervised Morpheme Analysis -- Morpho Challenge 2007

Part of the EU Network of Excellence PASCAL Challenge Program.
Participation is
open to all.

NOTE: The deadline for the submissions has been extended to MAY 4.

The objective of the Challenge is to design a statistical machine learning
algorithm that discovers which morphemes (smallest individually
meaningful units
of language) words consist of. Ideally, these are basic vocabulary units
suitable for different tasks, such as text understanding, machine translation,
information retrieval, and statistical language modeling.

The scientific goals are:

      * To learn of the phenomena underlying word construction in
natural languages
      * To discover approaches suitable for a wide range of languages
      * To advance machine learning methodology

Morpho Challenge 2007 is a follow-up to our previous Morpho Challenge 2005
(Unsupervised Segmentation of Words into Morphemes). The task of Morpho
Challenge 2007 is more general in that we are not necessarily looking for an
explicit segmentation of words this time, but a morpheme analysis of the word
forms in the data. (For instance, the English words "boot, boots, foot, feet"
might obtain the analyses "boot, boot + plural, foot, foot + plural",
respectively.)

Participation in the previous challenge is by no means a prerequisite for
participation in Morpho Challenge 2007. Everyone is welcome and we hope to
attract many participating teams. The results will be presented in a workshop
arranged in conjunction with CLEF 2007 (Cross-Language Evaluation Forum).

Program committee:

      Levent Arslan, Boğaziçi University
      Eric Atwell, University of Leeds
      Samy Bengio, IDIAP
      Tolga Cilogu, Middle-East Technical University
      Kadri Hacioglu, Colorado University
      Colin de la Higuera, Jean Monnet University, Saint-Etienne
      Chun Yu Kit, City University of Hong Kong
      Dietrich Klakow, Saarland University
      James Martin, University of Colorado at Boulder
      Jan Nouza,Technical University of Liberec
      Erkki Oja, Helsinki University of Technology
      Murat Saraçlar, Boğaziçi University
      Richard Sproat, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
      Richard Wicentowski, Swarthmore College

Please read the rules and see the schedule. The datasets are available
for download.

We are looking forward to an interesting competition!

      Mikko Kurimo, Mathias Creutz and Matti Varjokallio
      Adaptive Informatics Research Centre, Helsinki University of Technology
      The organizers

http://www.cis.hut.fi/morphochallenge2007/