[Corpora-List] NEW MAILING LIST: R-lang (analysis and modeling of language data using R)

Roger Levy rlevy at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 26 16:59:45 UTC 2007

Dear list members,

More and more linguists, psycholinguists, and computational linguists
are using R as their data processing/statistical analysis software of
choice.  To serve and encourage the further growth of this community, a
number of us have gotten together and started a new mailing list devoted
to analysis and modeling of language data using R, called R-lang.

You can subscribe to R-lang at the following URL:

We envision the list as serving several purposes:

1) as a place to share know-how about R and practical tricks and tips on
how to deal with issues specific to linguistic data in R.

2) as a locus for discussions and advice about statistical techniques
applied to linguistic data in general -- both experts giving advice to
beginners on basic questions, and experts interacting with other experts
regarding more advanced issues.

3) as a way of spreading awareness and interest in
probabilistic/statistical approaches to linguistics, and more advanced
methods among those who are already using statistics.

We have organized an "R-lang core group" of researchers experienced in
using R for language data analysis and modeling, including:

Harald Baayen (Nijmegen)
Marco Baroni (Trento)
Joan Bresnan (Stanford)
Stefan Evert (Osnabrueck)