[Corpora-List] Chomsky and computational linguistics

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Tue Jul 31 03:47:51 UTC 2007

I agree Mike. I don't think Chomsky argued against observational adequacy.
Any theory must explain the data. I would say Chomsky argued against
observational sufficiency.

I hope that won't now lead to an argument about the meaning of the word
"sufficiency". The bottom line, as I see it, is he noticed there was a
problem with structural abstractions of language data.

-Rob