[Corpora-List] corpus of rated words

Oliver Mason O.Mason at bham.ac.uk
Sun Jun 3 20:55:18 UTC 2007

A while ago I tried doing this automatically and ran into severe
problems during the training phase, mainly for two (related) reasons:

- words are not adequate units of meaning, so often you cannot decide
a rating for a single word.  Just as it makes no sense to ask for the
meaning of 'surgery', you can not come up with a general list of such
ratings, apart from a few obvious ones ('catastrophe', 'accident'
etc).  I found that it's easier to decide on the negative ones, but
most words I looked at I was not able to categorise.

- some words change their rating depending on context: for example,
'decline' sounds negative, but 'decline in road casualties' [Invented]
is good, 'decline in infant survival rates' [I] is bad, and 'decline
in profits' [I] depends on your personal view of the capitalist
system.

So I would conclude from my (unpublished) pilot study that it's a
futile exercise, but I'd be happy to be convinced of the opposite

Oliver