[Corpora-List] corpus of Welsh English???

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 11:49:21 UTC 2007

Jessica,

I assume "Welsh English" means English spoken by Welsh people,
not some sort of hybrid language mix of Welsh and English?!

If so, maybe the Polytechnic of Wales corpus will do, see

Clive Souter, A Short Handbook to the Polytechnic of Wales Corpus
Leeds University, 1989

http://khnt.hit.uib.no/icame/manuals/pow.htm

"... The corpus was originally collected between 1978-84 for a child
language development project to study the use of various syntactico-semantic
constructs in children between the ages of six and twelve. A sample of
approximately 120 children in this age range from the Pontypridd area in
South Wales was selected, and divided into four cohorts of 30, each
within three months of the ages 6, 8, 10, and 12. These cohorts were
subdivided by sex (B,G) and socio-economic class (A,B,C,D)... "

I hope this is of use to you!

Eric Atwell,
Senior Lecturer, Language research group, School of Computing
Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, Leeds LS2 9JT, England
TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468  WWW/email: google Eric Atwell