[Corpora-List] 2 reviewers for Working with Spanish Corpora

Graeme Hirst gh at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Oct 8 18:06:04 UTC 2007

It is unethical for the editor or contributor of a book to be in any
way involved in the selection of reviewers for a published review of
the book.

The correct procedure is for the publisher (or editor/author) to send
the book to the book review editors of journals thought to be
appropriate.  If the BR editor deems the book suitable for review, he/
she will select a reviewer who has no conflict of interest. The
editor/author/publisher should not even know the identity of the
reviewer until the review is published, so that there can be no
suggestion that they were in any way able to influence the content of
the review.

When a BR editor receives an unsolicited review, he/she should
require assurance of the reviewer's complete independence from the
editor/contributors/author of the volume.  If Professor Venegas, a
contributor to the volume, has chosen the reviewers from among those
who responded to his message, then such assurance cannot be given.

--
\\\\  Graeme Hirst * Book review editor, "Computational Linguistics"
////  University of Toronto * Department of Computer Science