[Corpora-List] What about Maltese texts in Latin letters?

Claudia claudiaborg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:43:10 UTC 2007

Hi All,

generally Maltese is written in latin characters with the exception of

However, it is quite the norm (although discouraged) not to use these
characters and to use the normal c, z, g, h, a, instead. This can be
confusing since there are also g, h, z, a, in the rest of the
alphabet.  UTF-8 can handle the above characters easily.

As for a Maltese Corpus, there is an ongoing project to produce an
official corpus - check this website

http://mlrs.cs.um.edu.mt/

It might be possible to obtain an unreleased version - but I would
have to check if and what is actually available. Please feel free to
contact me if you require more information or would like to work with
Maltese.

Regards
Claudia

--