[Corpora-List] Arabic transliteration

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 16:56:33 UTC 2007

Dear Lamia,

I would actually advise that it is not a good idea to use a
latin-character transliteration for Arabic text unless you really have
to. In Arabic computational linguistics, the Buckwalter transliteration
scheme is probably the most widely known, see

http://www.qamus.org/transliteration.htm

BUT few Arabic scholars outside of Computational Linguistics would
be at all familiar with this transliteration.
This was developed a a time when computers could not handle Arabic
script, only ASCII Latin characters.  More recently, most computers use the
UNICODE character set whcih includes encoding of the Arabic alphabet,
so it is now relatively straighforward to display, process, and
concordance Arabic text in original Arabic script, e.g. see

Roberts, Andrew; Al-Sulaiti, Latifa; Atwell, Eric. aConCorde: Towards an
open-source, extendable concordancer for Arabic. Corpora, vol. 1, pp.
39-57. 2006.

Why do you want to transliterate your Arabic text to the Latin alphabet?

Eric Atwell, Univesity of Leeds   http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/arabic

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Lamia Hadrich Belguith wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I am looking for a standard for Arabic transliteration
> using Latin characters
> Can anybody give me a hint?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Lamia

> Dr. Lamia Hadrich Belguith
> PhD  Computer Science
>
> LARIS- MIRACL Laboratory
>
> Assistant professor at
> Faculty of Economic Sciences and management of Sfax
>
> Address : FSEGS, BP 1088, 3018 Sfax, Tunisia
> Tel :  (216) 74 278 777
> Fax : (216) 74 279 139
> Email : l.belguith at fsegs.rnu.tn

Eric Atwell,
  Senior Lecturer, Language research group leader, School of Computing,
  Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, Leeds LS2 9JT, England
  TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468  WWW/email: google Eric Atwell