[Corpora-List] Arabic transliteration

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 17:43:03 UTC 2007

Lamia,

>> Why do you want to transliterate your Arabic text to the Latin alphabet?
>
> Generally when we submit a research paper (written in English/ French)
> on Arabic NLP we are asked to present the latin-character
> transliteration for the arabic sentences !

For this, I suggest the Buckwalter transliteration is not the best
solution, as it maps some Araic letters to ASCII characters whcih are not
roman alphabet letters, making the transcription simple to process but
hard for humans to read. I suggest the reviewers want a
non-Arabic-speaker to have some idea of what the text sounds like,
so an approximate phonetic transcription would probably suffice -
eg see the examples (pages 6, 8, ...) in

Al-Sulaiti, Latifa; Atwell, Eric. The design of a corpus of contemporary
Arabic. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, vol. 11, pp.
135-171. 2006.

Eric Atwell, Leeds University