[Corpora-List] Arabic transliteration

Ron Artstein artstein at essex.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 19:21:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Eric Atwell wrote:

>>> Why do you want to transliterate your Arabic text to the Latin alphabet?
>>
>> Generally when we submit a research paper (written in English/ French)
>> on Arabic NLP we are asked to present the latin-character
>> transliteration for the arabic sentences !
>
> For this, I suggest the Buckwalter transliteration is not the
> best solution, as it maps some Araic letters to ASCII characters
> whcih are not roman alphabet letters, making the transcription
> simple to process but hard for humans to read.

I wholeheartedly agree with Eric: Buckwalter transliteration is
usually not appropriate for a published paper because only a
handful of people working in Arabic NLP can read it fluently. The
appropriate transliteration or transcription depends on the
expected audience -- Arabists/Orientalists would probably be more
comfortable reading a ZDMG-style transcription, whereas general
linguists would probably prefer one based on IPA. The following
page has a table comparing the two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN-31635

-Ron.