[Corpora-List] US v UK English words with frequencies

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 12:25:12 UTC 2007

Can anyone point me at a corpus-based study of vocabulary
differences between British and American English,
with a list of UK-only words ordered by frequency,
and another list of US-only words ordered by frequency?

I have found lists of UK/US vocabulary differences eg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_States
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/americanbritish.html
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/words.htm

BUT these don't have word-frequencies: they dont tell me which are the
commonest words in British English causing problems for Americans,
or the most common US terms needing British translations...

Eric Atwell,
  Senior Lecturer, Language research group leader, School of Computing,
  Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, Leeds LS2 9JT, England
  TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468  WWW/email: google Eric Atwell