[Corpora-List] US v UK English words with frequencies

Rayson, Paul rayson at exchange.lancs.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 13:41:25 UTC 2007

Dear Eric,

You could approximate something like this by taking LOB and Brown (or
Frown v Flob) and comparing them using a key words approach in WordSmith
or Wmatrix. I say approximate because you wouldn't have UK-only or
US-only words in terms of zero frequencies in one language variety but
also words with different meanings in the US and UK, e.g. trunk.

An even better comparison would be the BNC frequency list against an
American one, say ANC or Mark Davies' new contemporary corpus of
American English, see the following URL when it becomes available:

http://corpus.byu.edu/american.asp

If Adam's listening he might also tell you how to do this at a click of
button in the Sketch Engine with web-based corpora!!

Regards,
Paul.

Dr. Paul Rayson
Director of UCREL
Computing Department, Infolab21, South Drive, Lancaster University,
Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK.
Web: http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/paul/
Tel: +44 1524 510357 Fax: +44 1524 510492