[Corpora-List] Is a complete grammar possible (beyond the corpus itself)?

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Wed Sep 5 02:48:43 UTC 2007

Hi Diana,

In the "Chomsky and computational linguistics" thread you wrote:

I am not sure ... that anyone is looking for a complete grammar - or the
> most compact description of a corpus (this last one seems to me VERY
> suspicious, if a corpus is a sample).

Why don't you think anyone is looking for a complete grammar (any more)?

Is this the result of corpora telling us something fundamental about
language?

Is there anyone on the list looking for a complete grammar who would like to
contradict this?

-Rob