[Corpora-List] Is a complete grammar possible (beyond the corpus itself)?

Oliver Mason O.Mason at bham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 5 07:15:24 UTC 2007

I've given up on the idea of a complete grammar of a language, as I
now view language as an individual phenomenon.  We all have our own
grammars, which overlap to a large degree, but are nevertheless
distinct. This is because your language experience is different from
mine.  So all you can hope for is a rough approximation (an average of
several grammars used to produce the corpus), or possibly a grammar
based on a particular corpus.  But the grammar derived from the next
corpus will be different again.

However, it will be very interesting to investigate those differences.

Oliver