[Corpora-List] Is a complete grammar possible (beyond thecorpus itself)?

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Fri Sep 7 04:02:36 UTC 2007

Rich,

You are posting to the wrong thread. That angle on this subject was covered
well in the previous thread.

Simple "rights" and "wrongs" just fail to capture it.

Far from being "wrong" on the subject, I doubt many generative grammarians
have even contemplated the idea grammar might be necessarily incomplete. Nor
have many corpus linguists.

Nobody's "right" or "wrong" on this one. It simply hasn't been looked at.

A model from this point of view will still need to be generative. That is
its great advantage. Corpus linguistics has worked well as a model of
lexicon. It is just we have lacked workable way of reconciling syntax. This
tells us it does not need to be an either/or between lexical and syntactic
perspectives of language. We can have both (because syntax is subjective on
context.)

Instead of bandying about "rights" and "wrongs", I think both "sides" need
to look at this and find what common ground they can from a new perspective.

-Rob