[Corpora-List] A small favour

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Fri Sep 7 12:12:12 UTC 2007

You can see a summary of how the verb slip behaves in the word sketch for it
at

http://www.sketchengine.co.uk <http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>

(self-register for free trial, then look at the BNC or -twenty times bigger-
UKWaC).  High-salience subjects are tears, masks, tongues and fingers,
objects are leash arm mooring noose ring ball, then there’s letting things
slip and lots of intransitive slipping
though/under/beneath/over/past/into/off ....

I share Ramesh’s view that corpus data is far superior to elicited

Adam