[Corpora-List] A small favour

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 11:33:42 UTC 2007

Dear Professor Magnusson

Please forgive me, but it seems strange to post an elicitation request on corpora-list.

a) Aren't there hundreds of native-speaker examples in freely available corpora that you could use?

b) Can anyone think of examples of a word "spontaneously"? Usually, we use language to convey
meanings, and select words that create the meanings we wish to express? We rarely focus consciously on a word,
with the intention of using it in our next utterance?

c) We also do not think about transitivity consciously when producing meanings?

d) How do you accommodate phrasal verbs in your model of transitivity?

e) You have accorded intransitive and transitive uses numerical equality in your request. Is this based
on any observed distribution, or simply by virtue of the fact that some grammar models see transitivity
as a binary phenomenon?

Here are the 40 free examples for SLIP from
http://www.collins.co.uk/Corpus/CorpusSearch.aspx
with my comments on transitivity features (apologies for any errors; done quickly to raise issues rather than for complete accuracy)

LEFT FRONT [/h] Continue on first 41 (44) sts. slip remaining sts. on to a stitch holder. [p]

TRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (on to...) in this meaning?

 or hospital. [p] 2 Occasionally the device may slip out unnoticed leaving the woman without

INTRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip out') in this meaning?

     incorporating a traditional `hook' and non-slip rubber ferrule. The length can easily be

   Side impact door bars [p] bull; Rear limited slip differential [p] Some of the features stated

general support -- please indicate on the reply slip. [p] For whatever reason you give, my warmest

  a 30 cm square of pale grey base fabric. Then slip your complete diagram underneath as a guide

TRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (underneath) in this meaning?

 it round until the tissue was sloppy enough to slip out through the four millimetre opening. The

INTRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip out') in this meaning?

as dangerous. Riders are required to follow the slip road a short way off the A3, and then turn at

   trained, in the 1850s. When fired, the think slip be-comes translucent, creating a diaphanous

 through blue plastic. Clever rubber-rimmed non-slip base and sliding bar instead of dial for

       her lover? [p] I felt a large rough hand slip into my own. I squeezed gently, and hung on.

INTRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (into...) in this meaning?

OR

TRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip into')

    when [f] needed, the Chinese calendar would slip back by thirty days, a complete month, every

INTRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip back')in this meaning?

 past us towards the ground. We swayed in their slip stream and far below I could just make out the

   had he not been there. We can't afford these slip-ups, Peter, not with the coup now only thirty-

         one-handed catch, low down by Akram at slip, to get rid of him.  [p] Irani then dragged a

    the spirit.  [p] The heart bled for Villa's slip of a debutant, Hendrie, previously booked for

to be afoot. Major was going to be persuaded to slip out of the back door of No10 while a grandee-

TRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip out of') in this meaning?

OR

INTRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip out') WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (of)

 slip of polythene cut from a kitchen bag. This slip is tied in the middle across the hookshank

after a year's absence.  [h] Destriero's costly slip;Horseracing [/h] [b] By Henry Rix [/b] [p]

      way. Amanda, of Channel 4's The Word, let slip her preference for breast-feeding five-week-

INTRANSITIVE AND RESTRICTED/IDIOMATIC (let slip X, let X slip)

   match, I still cannot believe that we let it slip [p] Jenkins had more cause than most to feel

DITTO

 somebody else's imagination? [p] David Mamet's slip of a new play - an hour and a half that

       [p] Louis Crothers, 46, gave warders the slip after being sentenced at Hereford Crown Court

  way he could have gone away and worked on his slip fielding in the days leading up to the match.

  despite (or perhaps because of) that infamous slip of the tongue in a pre-show trailer.  [p] I

   itself, and persuaded the company to let him slip his model in at night when the demands on the

TRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (in) in this meaning?

OR

TRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip in')

 recognize relapse warning signs. Look upon the slip as an opportunity to problem-solve. By

are left with a Julian, for instance, who could slip almost unrecognized into the life of a Clare

INTRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (into...) in this meaning?

OR

TRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip into')

   later inattention let the interstate program slip through his fingers and transmute into a far

INTRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (through...) in this meaning?

OR

RESTRICTED/IDIOMATIC (slip through X's fingers)

         It is our destination, after all, so l slip in the door and look out the window just as

INTRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (in...) in this meaning?

OR

TRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip in')

           upholstery covered with slip covers, slip covers covered by doilies, antimacassar

  enjoy the soft-fitting comfort of these dress slip-ons from the moment you put them on. Special

    A Revolutionary Breakthrough [p] Our unique SLIP-LESS sole grips solid on the downward force of

  cozy and warm. Elastic ankle means they won't slip off. Non-skid vinyl sole. Imported. [c]

INTRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (off) in this meaning?

OR

INTRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip off')

    animals and don't wear i.d. tags, manage to slip out an open door. [h] For Too Many, The

INTRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (out...) in this meaning?

OR

TRANSITIVE PHRASAL VERB ('slip out')

   possible. [p] Please see the reverse of this slip. [p] bull; Does you company have a matching

stews, when your recipe calls for fresh garlic, slip the clove in this `basket" and SNAP. Squeeze

TRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (in...) in this meaning?

neighbour can just take that in er her transfer slip in an envelope and there you are. But er [ZF1]

[F01] Er MX get those off there. [M0X] Oh sorry slip of the [ZG1] tongue [ZG0] [F01]

   [F13] is twenty.  [ZGY] [F25] Ooh. Ooh [F13] Slip it in there [F25] [ZGY] [tc text=laughter]

TRANSITIVE WITH OBLIGATORY ADJUNCT (in...) in this meaning?

Best wishes
Ramesh