[Corpora-List] corpus linguistics

Bob Parks bobp at clarityconnect.com
Fri Sep 14 14:43:19 UTC 2007

Antoinette,
Let me endorse Yorick's and others' comments that openness in
dialogue is a FAR more important value than the potential that
someone's attention might be taken for the microsecond it requires to
look at the Subject line.  Even if i were to ignore this most
interesting discussion, it would constitute a microscopic portion of
the email I receive and don't read, either because its spam or
because my time and interests vary from time to time.

Please let those who complain, do so publicly.
Thanks,
Bob Parks

At 2:50 PM +0100 9/14/07, Yorick Wilks wrote:
>Antoinette
>The problem with the Freeman-Sowa debate is that it actually was
>about corpus linguistics because Rob F has a view of how to extract
>patters and significance from corpora
>that got tangled up with VERY abstract concepts. But those who cannot
>stand those abstract words should remember where the debate started
>and what Rob's motivation was--something quite close to home--just
>look at his website! I think if people can't follow the hard bits
>they should be a bit tolerant, and/or just not read them and wait for
>a bit they like to come by--as opposed to trying to shut people down.
>Best
>Yorick
>

>On 14 Sep 2007, at 14:09, Antoinette Renouf wrote:
>
>>  Dear List members,
>>  Corpora-list was set up by ICAME (International Computer Archive of
>>  Modern and Mediaeval English) to impart information and discuss
>>  matters
>>  of relevance to the field. We have been receiving complaints that
>>  Corpora-list has recently been dominated by 3 or 4 people talking
>>  about
>>  topics having little to do with corpus linguistics. Far be it from
>>  me to
>>  spoil the fun or stifle debate, but we are all anyway swamped with
>>  information beyond our capacity to process, so please do restrict your
>>  comments to issues of more central relevance to the particular list
>>  community, and/or consider whether private emails might be a more
>>  appropriate mechanism for continuing debate once you have found a
>>  conversation partner.
>>  All good wishes
>>  Antoinette Renouf
>>  Chair of ICAME

*  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus on the web:
http://www.wordsmyth.net
*  Robert Parks - Wordsmyth - (607) 272-2190
* "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."  (LW)
* "Philosophers have only interpreted the world. The point, however,
is to change it." (KM)
*  In communicating - speaking and writing - we create community.
Through this participation we can hone our words till their meaning
potential taps into the rich voice of our full human potential.