[Corpora-List] corpus linguistics

Bob Parks bobp at clarityconnect.com
Fri Sep 14 17:20:30 UTC 2007

Dear Christian and Antoinette,
Please - I'd like to ask as graciously as I can -
PLEASE do not restrict discussion on this list.
With modems, much time was spent downloading
email.  But now with web mail and broadband time
isn't an issue. Further, when we are so very
lucky to have such wonderfully knowledgeable and
brilliant thinkers as Sowa, Wilkes, Freeman,
etc., how could anyone ask them to restrict
themselves to one or a few people's conception of
what is on topic?  I would rather say that
whatever they believe is worth expounding on, is
worth my time to pay attention to.  But I
certainly respect the right of others not to read
their postings. Please let this be an educational
forum with high purpose and broad scope, and not
a message exchange among a few who want to
announce conferences and tend to the details of a
field whose boundaries they assume have been set
once and for all.  So little time is used in
ignoring what you don't want to read. So much
insight is gained by reading what others have to
say.  Let each make their own choices about what
to read and what to write. I will be very
grateful for the opportunity to listen to
brilliant minds, and will be very sad if anyone
fails to educate us with their perspective
because of some list ownership policy.
Thank you.
Bob Parks

At 4:14 PM +0100 9/14/07, Christian Pietsch wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>please refrain from entering into meta-discussions, and do consider
>respecting the wishes of the list owner, represented by Antoinette.
>
>Even the most excellent linguists can benefit from the collected wisdom
>of mailing list and Usenet users which is distilled in the netiquette.
>There are numerous versions but they all tend to express the same basic
>guidelines. See e.g. <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt>.
>
>I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier. I've been a member of this
>list for about 2 years, and I did find the Chomsky discussion mostly
>interesting. As an administrator of various mailing lists I have learnt
>to bear in mind that there are always list members who are unable to
>cope with a high volume of list traffic. Long discussions with only a
>few active participants should indeed be taken off-line, especially if
>they drift away from the list topic.
>
>Have a good day!
>Christian
>
>--
>   Christian Pietsch, Natural Language Generation group,
>   Centre for Research in Computing & Computing Department
>   The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
>   http://purl.org/NET/pietsch · http://mcs.open.ac.uk/nlg

*  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus
on the web: http://www.wordsmyth.net
*  Robert Parks - Wordsmyth - (607) 272-2190
* "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."  (LW)
* "Philosophers have only interpreted the world.
The point, however, is to change it." (KM)
*  In communicating - speaking and writing - we
create community. Through this participation we
can hone our words till their meaning potential
taps into the rich voice of our full human
potential.