[Corpora-List] corpus linguistics

ian.lancashire at utoronto.ca ian.lancashire at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 14 17:45:55 UTC 2007

W. H. Auden once subtitled a piece, "Which side am I supposed to be
on?", question that reminds me, in this context, of his aphoristic
verses

    Private faces in public places
    Are wiser and nicer
    Than public faces in private places.

in which he defends the rights of the nice, wise individual in the
public place and emends a proverb that certainly doesn't apply here:

    Fools' names and fools' faces
    Are often seen in public places.

The Corpora list-serve is a wise public place where nice helpful
messages far outnumber the rest, messages such as Antoinette's, with
its good wishes to all, and her wish not to stifle debate or spoil
anyone's fun.