[Corpora-List] corpus syntax (and how we can use it to code meaning)

David Brooks d.j.brooks at cs.bham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 11:27:14 UTC 2007

Dear Yorick,

[Yorick wrote, in PS:]
> I have a hunch most Corpus Linguists are not interested much in
> computation in general, except as a secretarial/editing/retrieval tool,
> but they have to pay lip service to it.

Oh, I'm not so sure... I'm currently reading Linear Unit Grammar (by
John Sinclair and Anna Mauranen) and it seems to be more than paying
"lip service" to computational approaches: LUG reads as a theory of
grammar motivated by the success of Steven Abney's notion of "chunking"
(1991 "Parsing by chunks"), an influential approach to parsing that was
amenable to computers.

I'm sure I have not done justice to the subtleties of LUG, but I just
wanted to show that Corpus Linguists are open to the influence of
computational linguistics.

Regards,
David