[Corpora-List] corpus syntax (and how we can use it to code meaning)

rodolfo delmonte delmont at unive.it
Tue Sep 18 11:50:50 UTC 2007

Yorick,
the impression one gets from reading this thread and the ones related
to it is not just that people in corpus linguistics - and perhaps also
a good share of CL/NLP - are convinced that meaning of words can be
recovered by means of KWIC, bigrams, and other similar lexically
related measures.
My "hunch" is that semantics of words can only be drawn from semantics
of propositions in which words are contained, not just a topographical
notion, but a syntax related notion if you like. That is syntax and
semantics - in that sense, not just lexical - is what determines
meaning at last.
The question is that this is hard to come by with good approximation
with - just - statistically based methods. We all look forward to see
this new generation of CL/Corpus linguists who will be able to couple
St.Methods, corpus measures and symbolic computation.
After all, I cannot give up the idea that it is our intuition as
theoreticians that must guide us...
Best
Rodolfo

P.S.: I know this has already been discussed between us, but the list
deserves more fuel...