[Corpora-List] Off-list discussion (about "corpus syntax")

David Brooks d.j.brooks at cs.bham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 17:17:44 UTC 2007

Przemyslaw Kaszubski wrote in (Re: [Corpora-List] corpus linguistics):
> Should the practice be established that longer discussions are
> supposed to move off to other venues, I  would appreciate if
> the main discussants informed the subscribers of that.

Well, in this instance you are in luck! I have copied the contents of
the thread on "corpus syntax (and how we can use it to code meaning)"
off the corpora-list to a bulletin board here:

http://corpora.davidbrooks.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2

It's not ideal because threaded discussions don't view very well, and
any technological suggestions would be welcomed (I trialled MediaWiki,
and ended up with phpBB2 -- if anyone knows of a threaded BB then let me
know and I'll try it out). However, it should be adequate for new users
to post, and for discussion to continue. You'll have to register to use it.

I'll try and keep spam(bot) postings to a minimum, but I'm not too
concerned with keeping traffic volumes down as I don't really use the
main site much at the moment. Anyone with immediate concerns or
suggestions should feel free to email me directly. Also, if anyone wants
other topics (that perhaps they don't feel were adequately concluded)
ported across, I can do this but it takes a little while.

I hope this brings peace to those fatigued inboxes, while maintaining
the breadth of interest/participation in the discussion!

And I'll start it off with a reply to Rob expressing my concerns about
corpus syntax...

Best,
David