[Corpora-List] Off-list discussion (about "corpus syntax")

Bob Parks bobp at clarityconnect.com
Tue Sep 18 18:10:54 UTC 2007

In the most open minded spirit I can muster, could I suggest that we
all follow our own lights, and live our credos?  For those who feel
discussions should be taken off line, could they please take that
discussion off line, to set an example for others? And for those who
feel open discussion is important - could they please continue to
participate in the best spirit of their commitment to the advance of
understanding and courtesy to those who are affected?
Thanks,
Bob

At 6:17 PM +0100 9/18/07, David Brooks wrote:
>Przemyslaw Kaszubski wrote in (Re: [Corpora-List] corpus linguistics):
>>  Should the practice be established that longer discussions are
>>  supposed to move off to other venues, I  would appreciate if
>>  the main discussants informed the subscribers of that.
>
>Well, in this instance you are in luck! I have copied the contents of
>the thread on "corpus syntax (and how we can use it to code meaning)"
>off the corpora-list to a bulletin board here:
>
>http://corpora.davidbrooks.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2
>
>It's not ideal because threaded discussions don't view very well, and
>any technological suggestions would be welcomed (I trialled MediaWiki,
>and ended up with phpBB2 -- if anyone knows of a threaded BB then let me
>know and I'll try it out). However, it should be adequate for new users
>to post, and for discussion to continue. You'll have to register to use it.
>
>I'll try and keep spam(bot) postings to a minimum, but I'm not too
>concerned with keeping traffic volumes down as I don't really use the
>main site much at the moment. Anyone with immediate concerns or
>suggestions should feel free to email me directly. Also, if anyone wants
>other topics (that perhaps they don't feel were adequately concluded)
>ported across, I can do this but it takes a little while.
>
>I hope this brings peace to those fatigued inboxes, while maintaining
>the breadth of interest/participation in the discussion!
>
>And I'll start it off with a reply to Rob expressing my concerns about
>corpus syntax...
>
>Best,
>David

*  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus on the web:
http://www.wordsmyth.net
*  Robert Parks - Wordsmyth - (607) 272-2190
* "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."  (LW)
* "Philosophers have only interpreted the world. The point, however,
is to change it." (KM)
*  In communicating - speaking and writing - we create community.
Through this participation we can hone our words till their meaning
potential taps into the rich voice of our full human potential.