[Corpora-List] Off-list discussion (about "corpus syntax")

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Wed Sep 19 11:50:23 UTC 2007

David,

Thank you very much for setting up that discussion group,
but the title "grammatical incompleteness" is too narrow.
Related issues include

  1. Semantic incompleteness.

  2. Vagueness and precision.

  3. Question answering without deep deduction.

  4. Supervised and unsupervised learning methods.

  5. Any methodology, formal or informal, that can process
     large corpora (gigabyte or more) without relying on tags.

  6. Any novel technologies, theories, or ideas for extracting
     useful information from large corpora.

As a more general title, I would suggest something like

    Theories and Methodologies for Processing Large Corpora

This would allow the current Corpora list to focus on short
announcements and brief answers to questions.  Anything
devoted to issues about comparing different theories and
technologies would go to the new group.

Periodically, someone might send a note to Corpora list
with a brief summary of the ongoing threads.  But all
discussions, such as the ones we've been having recently
would be moved to the new group.

John Sowa