[Corpora-List] Linguistic Tree Constructor

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Sep 22 13:58:14 UTC 2007

I came across the following point while going through older email:

 > MSWord can save things into various formats. OpenOffice can open
 > and convert MSWord file in several more formats. There is a Java
 > toolkit to read the MSWord file, though it is still at a very early
 > stage:
 >
 > http://poi.apache.org/hwpf/index.html.
 >
 > But in general, AFAIK, nothing will read MSWord format directly and
 > do something useful with it. It is just too complex.

I wanted to mention that OpenOffice uses Python as a scripting language.
That makes it possible to write Python programs that run as macros
in OpenOffice to do a great deal of processing.  See

    http://udk.openoffice.org/python/scriptingframework/index.html
    udk: OOo scripting framework and python

It is also possible to use Java and Javascript as scripting languages
to control OpenOffice:

http://framework.openoffice.org/scripting/scriptingf1/developer-guide.html
framework: Writing Scripts in BeanShell, Javascript, and Java

John Sowa