[Corpora-List] [CORPORA-List] RE: Evaluating Sentence Aligners

Eric Garbin egarbin at thetdgroup.com
Thu Sep 27 16:38:37 UTC 2007

Hello CORPORA List,

   I'd be interested to hear from colleagues who are evaluating/have
evaluated automatic sentence alignment in parallel corpora.  I'm
especially interested in work with "distant" languages (e.g., Ar-En,
Zh-En).  I'm thinking some of the methods you have used would reflect
Arcade 2 (Chiao, Kraif, et al., 2006), (Rosen, 2005) or (Singh & Husain
2005).   However, it may be you're only working in a specific domain, or
at a small scale (comparing less than 5 aligners).  I'd be curious to
hear about your experiences, since I've been testing sentence aligners
on text in a government/foreign affairs domain.  I'd also welcome
suggestions from anybody who has tried to incorporate usability testing
into an evaluation of automatic sentence alignment: for example, you may
have monitored how much manual correction users had to do after the
alignment.

Thanks,

Eric Garbin

Computational Linguist