[Corpora-List] Nigerian scam corpus (summary)

Dimitri della Faille dimitridf at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 22:46:04 UTC 2007

Hello listmates,

Here's the summary to my question about the availability of a corpus of Nigerian
spam (aka Nigerian Scam, 419 Scam, Advance Fee Scam):

* Dragomir Radev has very kindly created a corpus for me from a database of 4000+
Nigerian Spams he collected. It is available to all at:
http://tangra.si.umich.edu/clair/clair/downloads.html

* Jerry Kurjian had such a corpus but due to a computer crash cannot share it.
However, he gave me the following URL. The website contains a selection of 450+
Nigerian Spams and has many weblinks.
http://potifos.com/fraud/

* Alex Boulton has a small corpus of various scams (some of them in French).

On the topic I suggest the following read:
Blommaert, Jan and Omoniyi, Tope (2006) 'Email Fraud: Language, Technology, and the
Indexicals of Globalisation', Social Semiotics, 16:4, 573 - 605

Thank you for your help

Dimitri della Faille

      Changez de tête et de tenue tous les jours si vous le voulez ! Volez la vedette sur Yahoo! Québec Avatars
http://cf.avatars.yahoo.com/