[Corpora-List] Written Essay Corpus (graded?)

jasper holmes jasper.holmes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:14:47 UTC 2008

Dear Scott

The BAWE (British Academic Written English) corpus, which I've
mentioned here before, is now complete. We're waiting for deposition
with the OTA and UKDA to go through, and when it does these bodies
will be responsible for distribution, but we can arrange for copies of
the corpus to be supplied for research purposes before then.

It consists of 2800 assignments submitted to one of 3 UK universities
and graded above 65%. Unfortunately for you, we don't have any lower
grades, but those we do have are graded in two bands: 'Merit' and
'Distinction'.

Not all contributors are native speakers (though they are all
proficient writers of English), but we have recorded the 1st language
in each case. There are 1950 assignments by native speakers.

Collection was across some 35 departments and 4 years (Y1-3
undergraduate, Masters).

The corpus is avaiable in xml and txt format; the xml files have
contextual information in the file headers, and textual information
(sections, paras, sentences, lists, tables etc) inline with the text.

Jasper