[Corpora-List] Knolicules

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Fri Aug 1 20:04:16 UTC 2008

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

Hi again ...

John F. Sowa wrote:

> PS to Jon:  Your postings as knols and other sources would be more useful if
> you gave examples.  Why would anyone use your version of differential logic?
> Can you give some examples of interesting problems that can be solved with it?
> Or even toy problems?  A search on the term "differential logic" puts your
> article in second place:  first is an article on emitter-coupled logic and
> third is an article on differential logic analyzer.  Is your version related
> to those or not?  If so, how?  If not, why not?

Sure enough.  I called those "starticles" for reason, as they are barely past
the stub stage, and I gave them merely as examples of what a knol looks like.

There are numerous distinct traditions that use the term "differential logic" and
its variants (1) the hardware descriptor, (2) "differential logic programming" in
software engineering, (3) "differential dynamic logic" http://www.phlogic.com/ in
the area of qualitative dynamics and continuous-discrete "hybrid systems", not to
mention sundry uses of the term in culture studies, law, politics, semiotics, law,
voting schemes, etc.  I cannot remember when I started thinking about the logical
sense, but I recall some resonances with Ken Forbus' "qualitative process theory"
and Ben Kuipers' "qualitative simulation" paradigms, so that would time it in the
mid '80s or so, and place it in the same tradition as the aforementioned number 3.
Don't know much about numbers 1 and 2 at all.

Here's the 'magnum opus' that I worked on all through the '90s and beyond, now
being rendered into a mix of HTML, LaTeX, and wiki markups @ MyWikiBiz space:

http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey/Papers/Differential_Logic_and_Dynamic_Systems_2.0

These days, I tend to use "differential logic" as a general (vague?) catch-all term,
describing the systems I've developed so far as "differential propositional calculi",
which is a bit more accurate.  Here's yet another rewrite-transcription in progress:

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DifferentialPropositionalCalculus.html

Cheers,

Jon

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o
inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
knol: http://knol.google.com/k/-/-/3fkwvf69kridz/1
mathweb: http://www.mathweb.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey