[Corpora-List] obtaining copyright permissions

nina at scils.rutgers.edu nina at scils.rutgers.edu
Mon Dec 8 15:32:12 UTC 2008

The US-based Author's Guild did sue Google for what you call "rampant
digitization" in 2005. See for example,
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2005/09/authors-guild-sues-google.

The suit was settled out-of-court just last month. See, for example,
http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/pressrel/20081027_booksearchagreement.html

To me, a non-lawyer, the relevant point in the agreement is that Google
will give a portion of the money it earns to a new organization that
will be set up to collect these funds and to keep track of what works
are in copyright. (There's no central registry with a complete listing
in the US.)

-Nina Wacholder