[Corpora-List] obtaining copyright permissions

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 17:36:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 9:36 AM, John Burger <john at mitre.org> wrote:
> Albretch Mueller wrote:
>
>> To me corpora present their data (or "information" as some like to
>> say) in an aggregated form. It is like saying that some people want to
>> keep their personal data out of statistical or census data and AFAIK
>> no one has sued google in their rampant digitizing of books
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/technology/internet/29google.html
>
>  From the article:
>
>> The agreement, under which Google would pay $125 million to settle
>> two copyright lawsuits over its book-scanning efforts, would allow
>> it to make millions of out-of-print books available for reading and
>> purchasing online.

~
 and also from the nytms link:
~
 "The settlement of the lawsuits, which were filed in 2005, did not
resolve the question of whether Google's unauthorized scanning of
copyrighted books was permissible under copyright law."
~
 What I still don't clearly see is how all these copyright issues
would affect us. Not that I am losing my sleep over it, but it still
pertain to us. Corpora aren't really a new medium per se, but I see
how corpora could become a new ground setting technology and greatly
change the rules of the game in a near future
~
 I hope we, corpora-research people, are not going to have separate
"legal" incumbencies. Say you  "incorporate" a book, under the "fair
use" copyright law, you could then let people not only know about such
things as the correlation between past tense and adverbs of this
particular book in reference to all other books in that corpus and
functionally stratify these data as part of some editing framework,
but also easily and "creatively" use it . . .
~
 lbrtchx