[Corpora-List] Corpus-based research on social differentiation

CRuehlemann at aol.com CRuehlemann at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 06:48:16 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Is anyone aware of any corpus-based research on social differentiation in
the use of language? I am aware of the following studies, which are based on
either COLT or the BNC:

*COLT*:

Andersen, G. (2001) Pragmatic Markers and Sociolinguistic  Variation. A
Relevance-Theoretic Approach to the Language of  Adolescents.
Amsterdam/Philadelphia:  John Benjamins.

Stenström,  Anna-Brita, Gisle Andersen and I. Kristine Hasund. 2002. Trends
in teenage talk.  Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

*BNC*:

Rayson, P.,  G. Leech and M. Hodges (1997) ‘Social differentiation in the use
of English  vocabulary: some analyses of the conversational component of the
British  National Corpus’. Language 50(4): 696–735.
Leech, G. and Fallon, R. 1992. Computer corpora - what do they tell us  about
culture? ICAME Journal 16:  29-50
Reid, J. (1995). ‘A  study of gender differences in minimal responses.’
Journal of Pragmatics  24: 489-512
Schmid,  H. J. (2003) ‘Do women and men really live in different cultures?
Evidence from  the BNC’. In Wilson, A., P. Rayson and T. McEnery (eds) Corpus
Linguistics by  the Lune. A Festschrift for Geoffrey Leech. Frankfurt  am Main:
Peter Lang, 185–221.

Rühlemann.  Christoph. 2007. Conversation in context: A corpus-driven
approach.  London: Continuum.

Does anyone know of any other such corpus-based sociolinguistic  studies?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Chris