[Corpora-List] Narrative Corpus

CRuehlemann at aol.com CRuehlemann at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 15:35:09 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I'd be most grateful for constructive feedback on a corpus  project I am
pursuing.

The research projects involves the construction and annotation of a  corpus
of naturally occurring conversational narratives. To my knowledge, such a
corpus would be the first of its kind. For the past months I have been  extracting
narratives from the conversational subcorpus of the BNC. I am now  going to
enter the annotating stage. Given that narrative is largely a  discourse
phenomen, the annotation will be a discourse one, which means that  much of it will
have to be done by hand. However, before embarking on  what is no doubt an
extremely laborious task I feel it  necessary to discuss my construction and
annotation  schemes with colleagues in order to make sure that the annotation is
such that it effectively captures the essentials of conversational narrative.
Only if the corpus achieves this, will it become what it is intended to: a
research tool that is useful for the research community.

At
_http://www.anglistik.uni-muenchen.de/personen/wiss_ma/ruehlemann/index.html_ (http://www.anglistik.uni-muenchen.de/personen/w
iss_ma/ruehlemann/index.html)  (scroll  down to link to "Narrative Corpus") you find a short PPT
describing the  construction and annotation schemes for the corpus, which I refer to
as the  Narrative Corpus. I would be most happy if some of you could have a
glance at it  and maybe let me know whether they think I am heading in the right
 direction or whether essential aspects of conversational storytelling that
should be accounted for are getting overlooked.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

Dr. Christoph Rühlemann, Munich