[Corpora-List] Pierce's ON A NEW LIST OF CATEGORIES

Gill Philip g.philip.polidoro at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:49:28 UTC 2008

Dear Rich,

having glanced at the URL you've been "trying to read", (Ithink)  I see what
the problem is - the paper is a very concise synthesis of ideas which, if I
remember correctly (and it's been a long time since I read Peirce), are
explained 'long-hand' elsewhere. Sometimes those seemingly brief writings
actually take far longer to grasp than the longer ones...
If you can get hold of a copy of Peirce's complete writings, you'll find all
the terms better set out, probably over a series of chapters.
Try C.S Peirce (1857-1866 / 1965) Collected Papers. Cambridge MA: Harvard
University Press.
If you're lucky, google books might have indexed it too. Otherwise we'll
have to wait on some kind soul who'se modernised the language a bit.

hope this is some help to you,
best,
Gill

On 31/07/2008, Rich Cooper <rich at englishlogickernel.com> wrote:

>  I've been trying to read Pierce's "On a New List of Categories" at
>
> http://www.cspeirce.com/menu/library/bycsp/newlist/nl-frame.htm
>

> The problem is that it is highly populated with arcane terms that have
> little or no meaning to my 2008 experience.  Does anyone have a more modern
> version, perhaps a rephrasing of the same material?  This is the part about
> Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness, and all the ancillary materials in the
> following matrix from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Peirce#Theory_of_categories
>

> Peirce's Categories (technical name: the cenopythagorean categories[21]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Peirce#cite_note-cenopythagorean-20%23cite_note-cenopythagorean-20>
> )
>
> Name:
>
> Typical characterizaton:
>
> As universe of experience:
>
> As quantity:
>
> Technical definition:
>
> Valence, "adicity":
>
> Firstness.
>
> Quality of feeling.
>
> Ideas, chance, possibility.
>
> Vagueness, "some".
>
> Reference to a ground (a ground is a pure abstraction of a quality)[22]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Peirce#cite_note-ground-21%23cite_note-ground-21>
> .
>
> Essentially monadic (the quale, in the sense of the thing with the
> quality).
>
> Secondness.
>
> Reaction, resistance, (dyadic) relation.
>
> Brute facts, actuality.
>
> Singularity, discreteness.
>
> Reference to a correlate (by its relate).
>
> Essentially dyadic (the relate and the correlate).
>
> Thirdness.
>
> Representation.
>
> Habits, laws, necessity.
>
> Generality, continuity.
>
> Reference to an interpretant*.
>
> Essentially triadic (sign, object, interpretant*).
>

> From hearing previous discussions about Pierce, this seems to be the kernel
> concept of his works.  So it would be useful to know what he means in these
> areas.
>

> Alternative URLs appreciated,
>
> -Rich
>

> Sincerely,