[Corpora-List] language and gender

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 10:54:34 UTC 2008

Harold,

I recommend scholar.google.com  - search for
  "corpus-based studies of gender differences in language use" found:

Rayson P, Leech G and Hodges. 1997. Social differentiation in the use of
English vocabulary : Some analyses of the conversational component of the
British National Corpus. IJCL 2:1 pp.133-152

Yates, S. 1997. Gender, identity and CMC. Journal of Computer Assisted
Learning. 13:4 pp.281-290

Bortfeld H, Leon S, Bloom J, Schober M, Brennan S. 2001.
Disfluency Rates in Conversation: Effects of Age, Relationship, Topic,
Role, and Gender. Language and Speech. 44:2, pp.123-147

Palander-Collin M. 1999. Male and female styles in 17th century
correspondence: I THINK. Language Variation and Change. 11, pp.123-141

Bowker L. 2001. Terminology and gender sensitivity: A corpus-based study
of the LSP of infertility. Language in Society. 30, pp.589-610

Fahy P. 2002. Use of Linguistic Qualifiers and Intensifiers in a
Computer Conference. American Journal of Distance Education. 16:1, pp.5-22

Conrad S. 1999. The importance of corpus-based research for language
teachers. System. 27:1, pp.1-18

... and there are plenty more.  Just tell your students to check the
abstracts first to make sure the paper really does touch on
"corpus-based studies of gender differences in language use"

Eric Atwell, School of Computing, Leeds University