[Corpora-List] language and gender

Jean Hudson Jean.Hudson at mah.se
Tue Mar 18 14:35:10 UTC 2008

There's a wonderful text in the LLC that I've often used to open students' eyes (and minds) to the fact that many of the so-called "gender" differences are, of course, power differences. First they get to read up on the topic, then they get to analyze a few texts. The text I'm talking about is a conversation between two male colleagues (university lecturers) one of whom is clearly more senior than the other. Guess what the students conclude...?

(I can't remember which text it is, but it's early in the corpus. At some point there's a joke about contraceptives - should be easy to find by searching that word.)

Jean

Jean Hudson
Luleå university of technology

>>> <R.M.Salkie at bton.ac.uk> 03/18/08 11:15 AM >>>
Has anyone ever transcribed some spoken data (or modified the recording
so that speakers' gender was not obvious), and then asked subjects to
judge which speakers were male and which were female?  I also have
students looking for topics in this area.  -- Raf Salkie, University of
Brighton