[Corpora-List] medication pronunciations

Lucian Galescu lgalescu at ihmc.us
Fri Mar 28 21:08:15 UTC 2008

My guess is that humans have a hard time pronouncing correctly the
names of the drugs they're taking. But most of time one doesn't need
to: one either grabs the container off the shelf or presents a written
prescription to the pharmacist (or talks about what ails them rather
than what medicine they'd like to buy). However, there are documented
cases of serious errors, some resulting in fatalities, when people in
emergency rooms mispronounced the names of the medicines they were
taking. FDA and USP's Institute for Safe Medication Practices collect
data about drug name confusions (both orthographic and phonetic), but
the general sense is that there is a lot of underreporting.

Lucian

* * *
Lucian Galescu, PhD
Research Scientist, IHMC