[Corpora-List] Collocations & BNC

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sun Mar 30 15:51:51 UTC 2008

Bob,

the problem is, it is not clear how to measure "degree of collocation" (or,
worse, "the degree to which it is [they are??] bound").  I proposed a
method for the first task in  *Collocationality* (and how to measure
it)<http://216.239.59.104/Publications/2006-K-ELX-colloc.doc>
*Proc. Euralex 2006.*  Torino, Italy.

And of course, the measure(s) you want all depend in what you want it/them
for,

Best

Adam

On 30/03/2008, Bob Parks <bobp at clarityconnect.com> wrote:

> Greetings:
> Does anyone know of a ranked list of words measuring both word
> frequency and degree of collocation ....  In other words, a list that
> ranks words in terms of the frequency with which they appear in text
> (e.g. BNC), and also the frequency with which they appear with other
> words, and factoring in the degree to which the collocation is bound?
> Thanks,
> Bob
> --
> *  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus on the web:
> http://www.wordsmyth.net
> *  Robert Parks - Wordsmyth - (607) 272-2190
> * "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."  (LW)
> * "Philosophers have only interpreted the world. The point, however,
> is to change it." (KM)
> *  Community grows as we communicate, honing our words till their
> meanings tap the rich voice of our full human potential.

Adam Kilgarriff
http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk
Lexical Computing Ltd                   http://www.sketchengine.co.uk
Lexicography MasterClass Ltd      http://www.lexmasterclass.com