[Corpora-List] Collocations & BNC

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Mon Mar 31 14:42:04 UTC 2008

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for, but with the architecture and interface that we have for BYU-BNC (our interface to the BNC), the TIME Corpus (100m words, 1920s-2000s),  and the new 360 million word BYU Corpus of American English, you can find both frequency and calculate the highest-ranked collocates (via MI) -- as well as ranking by MI and limiting by frequency.

In addition, with one simple query you can compare collocates in different sections of the corpus (e.g. spoken/written, engineering/academic, or 1920-1930s/1990s-2000s), or between contrasting words (e.g. small/little, rob/steal, men/women, Democrats/Republicans).

http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc : BYU-BNC
http://corpus.byu.edu/time : Time Corpus
http://www.americancorpus.org : BYU Corpus of American English

Best,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **