[Corpora-List] Fwd: Re: Distance & word context.

Paula Newman paulan at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 20:29:35 UTC 2008

Justin,
Particularly with regard to

> does anybody know of any (perhaps more linguistically oriented)
> works that discuss the existence/importance of *very* long range
>  dependencies and associations in text (e.g. Dear... Yours,

For a related case of analyzing email messages into components,
both
(a) the EMU work on text-to-speech (e.g., Richard Sproat, Jianying Hu, Hao
Chen, "EMU: An E-mail Preprocessor for Text-to-Speech," IEEE Signal
Processing Society 1998 Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, Los
Angeles, CA)
.and
(b)  my work for presenting and summarizing email-based discussion lists
(Newman, P. S. Exploring discussion lists: steps and directions.
Proceedings of the Second Joint ACM/IEEE-CS Conference on Digital Libraries
(JCDL 02))

are relevant.  The approaches used are similar, employing manually weighted
finite-state machines to find the best decompositions.

Paula