[Corpora-List] BAWE corpus now archived and available

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 4 07:33:50 UTC 2008

I note the weasel words "non-commercial use" in the agreement Steven
quotes. Can't speak for my colleagues in the OTA or in Essex, but my
guess is that it's that which is making those archives (or more likely
their former funders) anxious: it means they can bounce requests from
Microsoft's research department (thus requiring same to apply for copies
from their personal e-mail addresses). The world would be a simpler and
probably better place if distributors of such resources just accepted
that evil commercial people out there  making some money out of them
might not be such a bad thing.

The suggestion about making a snippet available in advance is a good
one; some revisions have been made to the way OTA texts are displayed on
the web, and this might be one we could incorporate.

Just my personal opinions!

 Steven Bird wrote