[Corpora-List] Ask for information on POS tagging task

wang xiaolin arthur_general at sjtu.edu.cn
Tue Oct 21 03:12:08 UTC 2008

Hello , everyone.

I've started to work on POS tagging recently. I have been following the
course of NLTK by Bird, Klein and Loper, and have learned a variety of
basic methods including default tagger, regular expression tagger,
unigram tagger and n-gram tagger. My problem is whether there is a
well-known practical tagger in state-of-art, or any recent surveys that
rank all kinds of tagging methods and practical tagging systems. e.g. I
used to work on text categorization. I know SVM is (agreed by most
persons) the classifier in state-of-art, and Naïve Bayes is simple and
works a little worse than SVM , but still practical. KNN is time
consuming in test phrase, and its performance is between the SVM's and
Naïve Bayes'. Sebastiani(2002) give a wonderful survey on this topic.
Can anyone give me some equivalent ideas and informations in POS tagging
domain ? A lot of thanks.

Best wishes

Arthur Wang