[Corpora-List] Ask for information on POS tagging task

Yannick Versley versley at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Oct 21 07:43:24 UTC 2008

Hello Arthur,

Have a look at

http://aclweb.org/aclwiki/index.php?title=POS_Tagging_%28State_of_the_art%29

If you have to build your own tagger (and are concerned with a good
work/accuracy ratio rather than squeezing out the last 0.1% out of it), I'd
recommend (besides SVMTool, which also seems to be trainable):
* tnt by Thorsten Brants (non-commercial only license), which is based on
markov model tagging (smoothed HMM) -- tnt reaches 96.7% on PTB
* CRF++ by Taku Kudo (GPL), which, as the name suggests, uses Conditional
Random Fields and allows you to use arbitrary features (or feature
combinations)

There's also a nice overview on POS tagging results in the following paper:
http://www-tsujii.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~tsuruoka/papers/emnlp05bidir.pdf
(Yoshimasa Tsuruoka and Jun'ichi Tsujii, Bidirectional Inference with the
Easiest-First Strategy for Tagging Sequence Data, HLT/EMNLP 2005)

For other languages (e.g. German), it often makes sense to combine ML-based
tagging with some kind of rule-based postprocessing to fix errors that are
due to the model's inability to get long-range dependencies right.

Best wishes,
Yannick

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 05:12, wang xiaolin wrote:
> Hello , everyone.
>

> I've started to work on POS tagging recently. I have been following the
> course of NLTK by Bird, Klein and Loper, and have learned a variety of
> basic methods including default tagger, regular expression tagger,
> unigram tagger and n-gram tagger. My problem is whether there is a
> well-known practical tagger in state-of-art, or any recent surveys that
> rank all kinds of tagging methods and practical tagging systems. e.g. I
> used to work on text categorization. I know SVM is (agreed by most
> persons) the classifier in state-of-art, and Naïve Bayes is simple and
> works a little worse than SVM , but still practical. KNN is time
> consuming in test phrase, and its performance is between the SVM's and
> Naïve Bayes'. Sebastiani(2002) give a wonderful survey on this topic.
> Can anyone give me some equivalent ideas and informations in POS tagging
> domain ? A lot of thanks.
>

> Best wishes
>

> Arthur Wang

Yannick Versley
Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft, Abt. Computerlinguistik
Wilhelmstr. 19, 72074 Tübingen
Tel.: (07071) 29 77352