[Corpora-List] Pashto Transliteration Scheme

fatima zuhra fateeshah at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 05:57:43 UTC 2008

Dear group members,

I am a Pashto language researcher in the field of Natural Language Processing. I want to know some standard transliteration scheme for Pashto. In my research, I am currently using a transliteration scheme that is similar to that of Herbert Penzl (1955). By similar I mean to say that I have done some changes in that scheme in order to easily input data using keyboard. I'll be thankful if someone kindly answer my these questions:

Q.1 Is there some standard transliteration scheme available for Pashto that is used in computer applications for Pashto?

Q.2 If there are some symbols in a transliteration scheme, which are hard to input using a keyboard, then can I make changes in such a scheme (to make it easy for my application)?

Regards.